An easy, tasty split pea soup
Super Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup split peas 6 cups home-made vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 ½ cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 1 tsp dried tarragon, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp ground cumin Cayenne pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro sprigs to garnish
1. Soak split peas for 6 to 8 hours in enough fresh water to cover them completely. Drain, place in a large pot and cover with vegetable broth. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes.
2. In a separate frying pan melt coconut oil and sauté the minced onions until they are soft.
3. Once split peas are cooked, add the sweet potato, tomatoes, herbs and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes become tender (about 20 minutes).
4. Garnish with cilantro before serving.